University Archives Images
The University Archives maintains over 2,500,000 images relevant to the history of the Madison campus, UW System Administration, UW Extension and the UW Colleges. Images document campus departments, locations, traditions, faculty and alumni, buildings and noteworthy events. The collection also includes images of the Madison and Dane County area, and some from around the state.
The collection includes photo albums and scrapbooks, lantern slides, glass negatives, film negatives, and prints. Key collections include the Photomedia Center Negative Collection, Newsmedia Collection, the Harold Hone, Duane Hopp and William J. Meuer Collections, and a multitude of images collected from campus communications units and staff.
Stop in to research within the image collections. Call 608-262-0428 or email if you prefer to make an appointment.
Looking for a particular photo? Please submit all requests for image use or reproductions to the Images & Media Archivist via email.
For more information about our image use and reproduction policies, review Archives Visual Materials: Rights and Permissions [PDF].University Archives Images Online
- Check out a few of our locally-hosted collections that include photos and history timelines.
- The UW Digital Collections Center hosts a selection of photographs from the University Archives in their UW-Madison Collection. Click "Search the collection" to discover over 6,000 photos that document campus history including Athletics, Music, Buildings, People and Events. We add new images each month!
- We share historic photos of UW Madison campus buildings with Historypin.com, an online photosharing project in partnership with Google.
- Check out the University Archives Flickr photostream (@UWMadArchives) for image sets that present various campus traditions, events, locations and student life!
- We're on Pinterest! Follow us at UWMadArchives
- University Communications Campus Photo Library
- Wisconsin Alumni Association
- UW Athletics
- Wisconsin Historical Images